The Worley Almshouses has apparently been closed for a few months. According to the bloke outside who said it was due to reopen a few days ago. He was meeting a mate from Malta there.Anyway, it hasn’t reopened yet. Even worse, a missed opportunity.
If only this had happened next year.Anyway, we found another Sam Smith’s pub, the Botolph Arms.
This was a random purchase, but at least an Eels connection has been retained.
You know how it is. You’re at work, resisting the temptation of an early finish on a Friday, when you receive a text message saying Hi Gary, I’m in the pub, are you coming?
Well, a man of a certain age actually receives something like Gary, I have gorgeous material in my car.
The end result was the same; I left work and went to the pub. Where we bought fabric.
I didn’t want to screw numbers to a new door, so I came up with an alternative.
It’ll need tidying up when I’ve time, but it’ll do the job for now.
OK, there’s historic (hopefully) woodworm and someone’s made a bodged attempt at re-covering, but we just bought this.
Second coat’s on.
Just need to point round the door on the left and add door numbers. Which won’t be on the door.
I probably should have taken a pre-primed picture, but …
After putting it off for way too long, we now have a new front door (-ish).
It needs some work, but it’s already miles better than its plastic predecessor.
Apparently, the door shall be green.
Its neighbour too, most likely.
Screws too small for the job and high winds, something one needs to accept when living on a hill, recently led to the external camera parting company with the wall.
All fixed now though (top right). Despite my fear of heights.
There isn’t a problem with the no video camera; I’ve not gotten around to connecting it.
I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve compounded the problem with the damp wall. Around seven years ago, I fitted a new door, creating an air (or, rather, heat) lock between the kitchen and the back door. The door wasn’t exactly new, since I’d found it in a skip, but it’s a nice door and it resulted in a warmer kitchen during a very cold winter.
Unfortunately, a warmer kitchen resulted in a colder rear lobby. So any damp wasn’t going to dry out.
Since resuming work on the damp wall, with the new/old door remaining open, the wall’s now a lot drier. More frequent use of the kitchen stove of late has surely helped too.
On close inspection, earlier this evening, I realised just how bad the dampness had been.
Salt crystals. Blue ones too.